Wednesday, October 10, 2007

A Day with Daddy

Yesterday was another milestone...maybe more for Mommy than for Jack and Beth, though. Yes, I had my first subbing job since the kids came to us. I woke up early to get ready and had planned to get out of the house before they woke up. But, just as I was kissing Mitch goodbye, Beth woke up. So I took her to the bathroom and then laid her back down on her bed, hoping she would just go back to sleep. I breathed a sigh of relief as I closed the front door behind without hearing a sound.
So, while I was at work, Mitch was Daddy extraordinaire! They didn't cry when they realized I wasn't there, so that was a very good sign! After breakfast, they watched Sesame Street. Then they went to the park and played on the playground and had lunch at Taco Bell. They played outside when they got home and got their shoes all wet from the grass. And when I drove up at 3:45, they ran outside to greet me, barefeet and all. Jack fell asleep on my lap while I was sitting on the couch, probably since he didn't get his nap.
The rest of the evening went fairly well. Bedtime seems to be getting better. We have continued to read a couple of books, "Goodnight Moon" and "Guess How Much I Love You," every night. Then we hold hands and pray. And then we kiss them goodnight and they cry a little bit (last night was only 5 minutes!!!), and then it's quiet. Maybe they are getting used to it?
Beth can count to 10 now, all on her own! Well, she always skips 8 for some reason, but otherwise she can say them all! And she is starting to recognize where the letters fall in the alphabet when we work on the puzzle. She is getting close to adding "E-F-G" to the alphabet song, but usually just sings "A-B-C-D." She can recognize that her name starts with B and can tell the difference between her water bottle with a B sticker on it and Jack's with a J.
She learned the word "love" yesterday. I told her that "Mommy loves Beth" both in Thai and English, then went on to tell her everyone else I love and everyone Daddy loves. Well, at the dinner table, she announced to Daddy "Mommy love Daddeee." It was very cute!
Jack still repeats just about anything we try to teach him. And he often points to things and wants to know what they are called. I guess you could say we have an abundance of teachable moments!

2 comments:

haroldholman said...

I cannot tell you how much I am enjoying reading this. I dont think that a day goes by without looking to see if you have posted your latest family adventures. Thank you so much for letting us be a part of it.

Jim H Holman said...

Amen to Harold's comments! Faith and I talked about the family today at lunch. Maybe we can get together and eat Oriential and great Uncle Jim could treat!